21 Dec Don’t Diet!
You’ve almost made it through the toughest dieting season of the year. Whether you’ve been naughty or nice up till now, it’s not time to completely give in to temptation. Regardless of what you want to hear, the eggnog and that fudge are NOT calling your name.
These three tips can help you keep your diet goals intact through January 1st:
- Eat a piece of fruit before dinner. It will help to keep you from overindulging later when temptation is great.
- Avoid carb-filled grains in foods like bread, tortillas, rice and cereal. Carbs force your body to hang on to water weight, making you feel bloated and grumpy. Don’t give Scrooge any reason to show up for the party.
- Fidget your way to fitness. Those who fidget stay in motion most of the day. It may help control your weight more than going to the gym. Think of it as all-day low- impact exercise.
If you’re like me, you’ve got an after-dinner sweet tooth. My secret, simple, easy tip…
Brush your teeth. Fresh, minty breath and clean teeth can discourage cravings. Don’t believe it? Think about some of the foods you hunger for after dinner. How does mint-flavored popcorn sound? Peppermint nachos anyone?
My “Skinny Mint” Hot Chocolate Recipe:
- 1 cup of coconut milk (I use Silk or So Delicious brand)
- 1 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s or Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 tsp of Agave sweetener
- 3-4 drops of mint extract.
In a small sauce pan, heat the coconut milk and then add in the cocoa powder. Use a whisk to blend. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk again. Taste and adjust flavor (if you like it sweeter, add more agave).
Recipe serves 1
This after dinner treat has knocked out my sugar cravings on many occasions.
When compared to “regular” mint hot chocolate mixes, this treat has 40% less sugar and about 30% fewer calories.