21 Sep You’re Hot!
Did you know swelling is a good thing? Your body is telling you your immune system is working.
I had a sore throat while traveling last week. My body said “You’re not sleeping enough!” and “You’re eating poorly!” My immune system was doing its job.
Conditions like that sore throat (or a pimple or a swollen ankle) are easily detected. Your body can repair that kind of damage.
More serious types of inflammation hide from us. Chronic illnesses like heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune diseases, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure and dementia indicate that inflammation has taken over in our bodies.
Help your body fight off chronic (and often hidden) inflammation with exercise, regular doctor visits and a healthy diet.
Quench those flames with these healthy foods:
- Onion contributes the antioxidant quercetin that helps your body fight inflammation.
- Garlic contains sulfur compounds that stimulate your immune system, protecting your body from viral infections like colds.
- Wild salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and helps to control inflammation. Avoid farmed fish and its arachidonic acid that aggravates inflammatory conditions like arthritis.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, one of the best spices for reducing inflammation.
- Ginger also reduces inflammation and helps reduce pain associated with arthritis.
Add years to your life …
Good dental care wards off gum inflammation called “gingivitis”. Frequent brushing and flossing help reduce inflammation throughout your body. Flossing may add 5+ years to your life!