03 Sep Belly Fat Blasting Tips for Busy Women
Scarlett O’Hara, I’m not. But for most of my life, my waist has been slim. Then I hit my 40’s and the excess fat from my rear end decided to migrate to my stomach.
What happened? How do I get rid of belly fat and, is it really as dangerous as people say?
Belly fat is normal. And, it’s okay to pinch an inch. But if you can pinch more than an inch (or so) you are at higher risk of heart disease, stroke and other health problems. According to Dr. Oz, “belly fat is very toxic and it sends out a stream of toxins into your blood”
How do you know if you have too much?
Men should have a waistline of 40 inches or less and women 35 or less. Research also suggests that belly fat produces an appetite stimulant, making you feel hungry more often. These sets up a vicious cycle of “old” belly fat leading to “new” belly fat.
One Minute Wellness Coach Tips to help busy women blast fat:
1. How to kill the after dinner sweet tooth: Brush your teeth (and tongue) with strong mint toothpaste: It’s hard to crave (or eat) a chocolate chip cookie when your teeth are clean and there’s a strong mint taste in your mouth.
2. Mindless eating: Quit eating in front of the TV. Studies have shown that when people eat with the TV on that they munch much, much more. A Univ of Vermont study found that when participants in the study cut their TV time by 50% that they burned an additional 119 cals/day. Do the math-that’s an additional 12 pounds of fat blasted in 12 months.
3. Chipmunk cheeks are out: Translation? Take smaller bites. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that people who took large bites of food consumed 52 percent more calories in one sitting than those who took small bites and chewed longer. Key point: Smaller bites equal a smaller belly…
Quick Bonus Tips!
1. Eat whole grains. People who eat whole grains lose more belly fat than those who stick with white bread and white rice.
2. Eat low fat dairy products. Studies show that the more calcium in your fat cells, the more fat you burn.
3. Eat lean protein. Lean meat, beans and eggs help to increase your energy, which helps you to burn more belly fat.
Two very surprising foods that can help burn belly fat:
1. Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese: This calcium-rich treat activates the body’s fat-burning hormones, say University of Wisconsin researchers. “Plus, because of its high protein content — it contains more than any other dairy product — you’ll stay full longer,” notes Dr. La Puma. His slimming Rx: “Grate one ounce on soups or salads daily.”
2. Cannellini Beans: A recent study found that foods with resistant starch (a unique fiber that resists digestion) can help to increase your post meal fat burning for hours. According to the study, you just need to replace about 5% of each meal’s calories with a food that contains this resistant starch.
My pick is Cannellini beans and here is my favorite recipe:
White Bean Dip
2 (14-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons roasted garlic
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup parsley leaves, to garnish
In a food processor, combine the beans, roasted garlic, olive oil and lemon juice and process until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and serve with your favorite vegetables.
Recipe from Ellie Krieger of Foodnetwork.com
ErinPosted at 10:23h, 04 September
Nice article! Do you know if garbonzo beans are in the same category at Cannellini beans? Do you have a list?
I hope all is well, cute pics on FB with baby Claire.
Joyce BenderPosted at 12:10h, 04 September
Why are you still telling them to eat bread? We talked about this!
Amy Ellsworth, RDNPosted at 05:52h, 05 September
I agree with Joyce. Most of the population can not properly digest whole grains. Many of the diet dictocrats tout how important it is to consume whole grains, which is absolutely false. In fact, gluten is the number 1 auto immune trigger. Aside from the lie that fat causes heart disease, this is the second biggest lie being told to Americans today.
To take it even further, our bodies are insulin resistant in the morning and become more insulin sensitive towards the afternoon, about 7 hours after waking. So, eat appropriately considering blood sugar management.
On a sweeter note, I enjoy and appreciate your wellness tips!
deborahPosted at 09:03h, 05 September
Thanks so much Amy! I appreciate your comments. Deborah
deborahPosted at 08:52h, 05 September
Hello Joyce: I’m confused by your comment as I’m not promoting a “carb diet”. Here is the statement from my newsletter: Eat whole grains. People who eat whole grains lose more belly fat than those who stick with white bread and white rice.
Perhaps there is some confusion in my writing style, however what I was attempting to relay is that if you’re going to eat carbs make them of very high quality (skipping white flour products and white rice).
Hope this clears up any confusion and thank you so much for your comments and support. Deborah