16 Feb Quick and Easy Grab and Go Ideas
Planning ahead makes all the difference when you’re trying to change your health. If you don’t pack snacks, your hunger may drive you to the closest burger joint. Take an hour over the weekend, plan your snacks and be ready for your workweek with high energy and healthy snacks.
- Sliced apples with a squeeze of lemon juice. The lemon juice will help keep the apples from turning dark. Look for Earthbound Farms and Crunch Pak pre-sliced and individually packaged apples in Costco’s produce department.
- Blueberries and ½ cup of cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is a protein powerhouse and when combined with berries, it is a high energy, high fiber and antioxidant rich snack.
- Snap peas or sliced cucumbers dipped in hummus. Costco carries Sabra hummus already in individual serving sizes ready for your lunch. Hummus combined with sliced veggies, is a snack that is high in fiber, protein and vitamins.
- Celery sticks with peanut butter (use almond butter if you’re trying to lower your cholesterol levels).
- Sliced yellow, orange or red bell peppers (green bell peppers are harder to digest) sprinkled with a vinaigrette dressing and a tablespoon of feta cheese. This snack is high in vitamin C and fiber.
Here is my favorite healthy snack recipe:
Deborah’s Energy Roll
- 3 whole wedges of the Laughing Cow Original Swiss Cheese
- 6 slices of Deli Turkey
- 2 Tablespoons of mustard
- Sliced red bell peppers (sliced into spears)
- Spread half a cheese wedge on each deli slice.
- Add a 1/2-teaspoon of mustard to each slice.
- Place 2 bell pepper spears horizontally at the bottom of each slice and roll.
- (2 rolls are a serving size).
Here is my grab and go shopping list:
- Rotisserie chicken (Available at Costco)
- Columbus Herb Roasted Turkey Breast (Available at Costco)
- Raw almonds or Kirkland Signature Dry Roasted Almonds (Available at Costco)
- Greek yogurt
- Eggs (for hard boiling)
- Cottage cheese
- Snap peas or cucumbers
- Hummus (individual Sabra packs available at Costco)
- Peanut butter (or almond butter)
- Feta cheese
- Red, orange or yellow bell peppers