Disclaimer: Deborah Enos is a Paid Sponsor.
Think you know how to keep off winter weight?
Deborah Enos, CN, is “The One-Minute Wellness Coach”–The Health Coach for busy people. She pares her health secrets down to simple and fast bullet points that can impact your life in 60 seconds or less.
Deborah serves as a board member for the American Heart Association. She has appeared on NBC, ABC and FOX News, and has been featured in The Costco Connection, Parade Magazine, Self Magazine, and USA Today.
Energy Foods Click here to download as a PDF
- Protein Bar I have two favorites– they’re both yummy. Kind Bars are nut-based, so they’re high in protein, but they’re also low in sugar. I also like the Ultra-Low Carb chocolate mint bar from Biogenesis. These bars will keep you energized and clear-headed for at least 3 hours.
- Hard Boiled Eggs They only have 75 calories and will increase your energy for about 2-4 hours. The fat in the yolk may also help to lower your stress levels. Even if you have cholesterol problems, you can still eat eggs. Talk to your Doctor if you have any questions.
- Nuts or seeds A serving is one ounce, which is about the size of a shot glass. The protein and fat in the nuts can help boost your energy and keep you full for about 2 hours.
- Edamame 1/2 cup of this snack packs a big punch: about 14 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber!
- Water When you get dehydrated, you will feel tired, grumpy, and you may have a hard time making decisions.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich on Whole Grain Bread You have protein here, a little fat and fiber. This snack can stay un-refrigerated for a few hours and still be safe. Also, the combination of protein and fat will keep you full and focused.
- String Cheese Individually-packed string cheeses are easy to take on-the-go, and they are packed with protein and fat that will keep you energized enough to tackle the rest of the day.
- Pumpkin Seeds Ounce for ounce, they contain more protein than any other nut or seed. A quarter cup has about 8.5 protein grams and is a rich source of many other vitamins and minerals. Studies show that the phytosterols they contain reduce cholesterol levels, enhance the immune response and may even decrease the risk of certain cancers.
- Non or low fat Plain Greek Yogurt It’s thicker and creamier and contains 50% more protein than regular yogurt because it contains less water. Sweeten it up with a teaspoon of “no sugar added” jam or some fresh fruit.
Costco Business Delivery Shopping List Click here to download as a PDF
Why I Like it: Apples have been shown to wake you up more than a cup of coffee. They are full of fiber (4 grams) and high in antioxidants. Great when combined with a handful of nuts or a Tbs. of nut butter. An apple can fill you up and is an excellent snack or a great way to kill you sweet tooth after lunch.
Ready-Pac Apple Granola & Yogurt Snack Pac
Why I Like it: This is a nice combo of fruit (fiber), yogurt (protein) and granola (complex carbs). I think this is a good lunch and certainly something that can fill you up in a pinch. Also good for taking into long meetings or on a plane; and no prep on your part!
Veggie Snack Pac
Why I Like it: I think this is a healthy way to sneak more fruits and veggies into your daily diet. While I’m not a huge fan of eating a lot of pretzels, this is a small serving size so it receives my approval.
Ready Pac Bistro Santa Fe Caesar Salad Bowls
Why I Like it: This is a great salad with protein and fiber. To make this a lower fat option, I would opt for using just ½ the amount of supplied dressing.
Oroweat Sandwich Thins Whole Wheat
Why I Like it: This is an excellent way to make a sandwich. Everyone knows whole wheat bread is better for you than white bread. And this one comes with 5g of fiber and only 1g of fat and just 100 calories
Why I Like it: We all need to avoid the powdered creamers. Most of them are chock full of artery clogging trans fats. According to Harvard research, trans fats are responsible for 1 in 5 heart attacks. Just use the real half & half creamer; and this one comes in the perfect serving size.
Talking Rain Sparkling Water Variety
Why I Like it: Calorie free, sodium free and it tastes delicious. I find that this drink is a good way for me to curtail my afternoon sweet tooth.
Snacks & Nuts
Kirkland Signature Dry Roasted Almonds
Why I Like it: Almonds are one of my favorite afternoon snacks. High in protein and a good source of fiber; it helps to fill me up and it gives me an energy boost in the afternoon.
David’s Pumpkin Seeds
Why I Like it: High in protein and zinc. Zinc is an immune system booster. This is an excellent snack, especially if your co-workers are sniffling and sneezing.
Kirkland Signature California Pistachios
Why I Like it: Pistachios are high in protein. What I like about this snack is that it comes in the shell, making it harder to eat, so it naturally slows you down—a good thing!
Why I Like it: Walnuts are an excellent heart healthy snack. A small handful will make a good high protein snack. Also, add some to your morning oatmeal or cereal to boost the protein/nutrient content.
Kirkland Signature Trail Mix Tube
Why I Like it: I do like this trail mix. It’s a nice combo of sweet & salty. An ounce is a serving so keep an eye on your serving size and read your labels.
popchips Variety Pack
Why I Like it: I am a huge popchips fan. I like that I can have an entire serving of chips for around 100 calories. Sometimes in the afternoon I just need a crunchy, slightly salty snack; and this one meets my standard. I also crumbled them up and add to salads in place of croutons (this is a huge fat & calorie saver)
Oikos Greek Style Yogurt Non-Fat
Why I Like it: Lower in sugar with almost 40% more protein than regular yogurts. Add some berries and a little trail mix for more variety.
Darigold 1% Low Fat Milk
Why I Like it: This is a good source of protein and can help to keep your energy and blood sugar high throughout the afternoon.
Bel Kaukauna Mini Babybel Cheese
Why I Like it: I really like this cheese. Lower in calories/fat than other types of cheese, I put this on whole wheat crackers for a decadent afternoon treat-without a ton of calories/fat.