08 Oct Food vs. Vitamins
Disclaimer: Deborah Enos is a Paid Sponsor.
As fall sets in, so does cold and flu season. In a perfect world, we would all be healthy and strong. We would get all the nutrients we need from a balanced diet and none of us would have to take a multivitamin. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world. Our hectic schedules often interfere with our desire and ability to eat well and there are diseases and conditions that steal vitamins from the body.
That’s why it’s important to consider taking a multivitamin of some sort. But, that’s not all you need to know…
There are actually foods and drinks that counteract your good intentions and interfere with vitamin absorption!
Here are my top 5 tips for getting the most out of your multivitamins and supplements.
- If you’re taking a calcium supplement, be sure to take with food. Doing so will ensure you have enough stomach acid available to assimilate this mineral.
- Avoid drinking alcohol in excess because it can interfere with the absorption of many vitamins and minerals. BONUS! This one has more health benefits than just vitamin absorption 🙂
- Sorry to break the news coffee lovers, but you should avoid drinking coffee and other caffeinated beverages because they can interfere with vitamin absorption.
- Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat soluble. They get absorbed into the body with the help of fats, so try to take these vitamins along with fatty foods such as avocados or foods containing olive oil.
- Be cautious with iron. If you’re taking an iron supplement, and you should really only do so under doctor’s orders. Avoid drinking milk or tea or eating wheat or bran when it’s time to take your iron. All of these things will interfere with absorption.
Quick tips to remember:
Take multivitamins and supplements with food.
Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
My favorite powdered vitamin is Oxylent. It’s an award winning daily multivitamin & mineral drink. Oxylent has been shown to be better absorbed than vitamin pills. Plus, I love that I can just add it to my water at lunch, no horse pills to swallow!
My readers can buy Oxylent at 20% off online at: http://www.vitalah.com/buynow.php
Use the code: ENOSOXYLENT