29 Nov Operation De-Stress
The turkey dinners have been eaten and Black Friday has kicked off our holiday shopping season. It all happens so quickly, doesn’t it? Okay. Take a deep breath. It’s easy to get caught up in the rush and start feeling stressed out. But before the anxiety attack takes hold, let’s do a few things to help keep our blood pressure down and our hearts running at normal speed. The more relaxed you are now, the better it’ll be when the real stress comes knocking on your door.
So, here are some tips for de-stressing before the holiday rush arrives to heat things up:
- Use acupuncture or acupressure. No, you don’t have to see a specialist. You just have to apply pressure at certain points to reduce anxiety and promote a sense of calm. Try this: press the tip of your thumb against the tip of your index finger. Hold it there for about 20 seconds. You should feel a mild sensation at that point.
- Go for a massage. When you get stressed out, your entire body tenses up. Loosen things up with a good massage. If you can’t afford the time or money for a professional service, ask your spouse to lend a hand.
- Exercise! This is a great way to relieve stress. Just 30 minutes each day will make you feel like you can tackle anything.
- Schedule something fun. A mani-pedi or just some alone time with a good book can go a long way when you’re feeling stressed. Try to take one hour each day to do something for yourself.
- Don’t be hyper critical. Things don’t always go the way you plan them. It’s just part of life. Don’t beat yourself up over things you cannot change. Accept things for what they are and you’ll feel a lot better.
- Eat a healthy diet. When you’re low on certain vitamins and minerals, your body can become stressed without any outside hustle and bustle. So, prepare yourself with a good nutritional foundation and you’ll be armed to handle whatever the day sends your way.