24 Feb Lose 2 Pounds in 7 Days
You know the feeling. Your waistband is getting a bit snug and you have to undo the top button of your jeans after dinner. Sometimes you just need to lose a couple of pounds (safely) and as quickly as possible.
Here is what I do when my weight starts creeping up and I want to “nip it in the bud” and get back on track.
- Drink a glass of water (8 ounces) an hour before a meal. Studies have shown that the water can help to fill you up, so you eat less. Don’t drink a big glass of water during your meal. The water can dilute your stomach enzymes and you could have a problem digesting your meal.
- Eat an apple 45 minutes before dinner. The apple will fill you up and help you to naturally cut back on your dinner portions.
- Soup for dinner. Cutting back on your evening meal is an effective way to lose weight. Eat a healthy snack in the late afternoon and then have a bowl of non-cream based soup for dinner.
- Flaxseed. If I’m feeling really hungry, I will eat a tablespoon of ground flaxseed about 30 minutes before my meal. The fiber helps to fill me up and flaxseed is full of heart healthy fat – a nice bonus! Premium Gold is my favorite brand.
- Eat chunky food. Studies show that when you see and eat chunky foods, it can make you feel fuller for longer. For example: Pick the chunky veggie soup instead of the clear broth.
Thinner by Thursday – Tortilla Soup:
- 2 cups of organic, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of salsa* (I like using a spicy and chunky salsa. The more flavor in the salsa, the less seasoning you will need in the soup.)
- 1 cup of shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup of rinsed, canned black or pinto beans
- In a medium saucepan, warm up the chicken broth
- Add the salsa, chicken and beans.
- Ladle into a bowl and enjoy
If you want to get “fancy”, add a dollop of low fat sour cream, chopped cilantro and low fat shredded cheese on top of your soup. I also add crumbled popchips (the salt & pepper flavor is my favorite) on top of my soup.
Why do I call this soup, “Thinner by Thursday?”
I eat this soup for dinner when I feel my weight starting to creep up. The soup is high in fiber and very filling. When I eat this soup, I eat less. When I eat a smaller dinner my weight naturally begins to go down and because I don’t go to bed feeling stuffed, I end up sleeping more soundly.
*I use Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa (available at Costco) or Newman’s Own Organic Salsa.
Lisa Marie Del GvaioPosted at 22:38h, 04 March
I can’t wait to make the thinner bu Thursday chicken tortilla soup it sounds very good and healthy. You are so full of GREAT ideas I love all your advise. Thanks for all the healthy tips again and again! ;0)
Deborah EnosPosted at 15:37h, 09 March
You are such a great cook-thanks for the praise! I look forward to seeing you again soon! Also, Happy Birthday!