31 Aug The HealthStyle File- Beating the Winter Blues-Naturally
- Feeling like you just can’t wake up.
- Cravings for sugar, caffeine and pastries.
- Moodiness and depression.
Why it happens:
- Lack of light and daylight hours.
- Lack of “bright light.”
- Not enough light; so not enough melatonin-lack of good sleep.
- Too much sugar, white flour, caffeine, and processed foods.
How-to help your body feel better:
- Eat less sugar, caffeine, and white flour.
- Eat more fat! Ex: salmon, cod liver oil, mackerel, tuna, and avocado.
- Exercise more often, even small amounts can help.
- Supplement w/ vitamin C.
- Eat more zinc foods-pumpkin seeds, eggs, lentils, oysters.
- Full spectrum lighting.
- Fake sunshine-eat more vitamin D rich foods. Ex: cod liver oil, salmon, mackerel, tuna, milk, cheese and cereals.
- Good multi vitamin, daily w/200 iu of vitamin D.