05 Jul Deborah’s Kitchen- Chicken with Spinach Salad and Sliced Strawberries
- Rotisserie chicken
- Spinach salad
- Container of strawberries
- 1 rounded teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add a tablespoon of honey if you’d like to make the dressing a bit sweeter.
To make the dressing, combine mustard and vinegar in the bottom of a bowl. Slowly pour in extra-virgin olive oil, whisking dressing as oil is added. Add dressing to spinach salad and mix contents. Sprinkle sliced strawberries on top of already dressed salad. The vitamin C from the strawberries helps your body to break down the iron in the spinach, allowing your body to utilize the iron in a more efficient manner.
Leftover Meal Options:
- For lunch the next day, use your leftover chicken and slice it up to combine with your spinach salad.
- Leftover strawberries combined with some trail mix, makes an excellent mid-morning snack.
*During the summer, try to include watermelon in your diet. Watermelon is an excellent source of Vitamin A and potassium. Enos says, “Potassium is really important in the summer when we’re out there exercising and sweating. Potassium is in every cell in your body and it gets used up pretty quickly during warm season.” To find out more of the health benefits of watermelon listen to Deborah’s segment on Komo News.